Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I am of Ukrainian descent and I trying to find out if "chuk" in my last name has any meaning? ?

I notice a lot of Ukrainian names have "chuk" in it and I am wondering if "chuk" actually means anything in the Ukrainian language? Another question I have is how safe is it for visible minorities (i.e. Asians, blacks, etc) to visit the Ukraine. I have a black friend who I want to take to the Ukraine with me on a European trip and I am worried about his safety considering that the Ukraine is such a hemogenous society both ethnically and culturally.

I am of Ukrainian descent and I trying to find out if "chuk" in my last name has any meaning? ?
Yea, if you're "chuk"- it means your name is coming from the West of Ukraine. Consider regions ("oblast' "): Khmelnitska, Chernivetska, Ternopilska, Ivano-Frankivska. They are really west Ukrainian. Unlike regions around Kiev. There is even a difference in the culture.





Actually, "-chuk" is not typical ukrainian: it's very common in East Poland and East Slovakia too.
Reply:Chuk or Yuk means nothing its just a part of ending in the surname,like surname of my mother Kamenyuk...)))


No comments:

Post a Comment